Setting up Smartsuit Pro in Studio Legacy(Stand-alone or Glove-Ready edition)
If you received your Smartsuit Pro in July 2022, please set the wifi up in Rokoko Studio Beta as you will not be able to do so in Legacy.
You will most likely not see this message and your device will not be detected
You will still be able to use the Smartsuit Pro in Legacy but only after setting it up in Beta.
The following items are not included with the Smartsuit Pro but are required in order to set up your Smartsuit:
- Computer - Click here for the system requirements
- WiFi Router - Click here for a list of recommendations
- Standalone Edition: USB power bank/battery(2A output) - Click here for a list of recommendations
- Glove-Ready edition: USB power bank/battery(3A output) - Click here for a list of recommendations
Setting up your Smartsuit in Rokoko Studio Legacy
- Open Rokoko Studio Legacy, sign in and select your Team.
- Create and enter a project/scene.
- Hang your Smartsuit close to your computer or place it carefully in a soft non-metal surface.
- Grab the USB-C to A cable, which was provided, and connect the USB-C side to the Hub and the USB-A side to your computer. Make sure you hear a 'clicking' sound to connect it properly.
NOTE: For Glove-Ready edition, connect the Smartgloves to the USB-C cables that come out of the last hand-sensors of your Smartsuit before powering up!
- Connect your battery to the USB-A cable(can be seen in front-right pocket)
Note: Do not apply Firmware upgrade if you get a blue pop-up window like this:
Applying your WiFi settings
A pop-up will appear on the lower right corner of the scene. Please click it to access the wifi settings.
Should the pop-up not appear despite having your Smartsuit Pro HUB connected to your computer with the USB-C cable (Anker), click the suit icon in the top right corner to open the panel:
If the USB-C to A cable is not connected properly to the Hub, then Studio will show:
You can reuse the latest WiFi settings you applied (if any) or apply new settings. Both settings will open the next window, but if using "Reuse WiFi setup" will automatically input the last settings you applied.
- Find your Wifi network from the drop-down list and enter it's password. As mentioned earlier, we recommend a dedicated router for smooth connections and performance.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the same WiFi that you wish to use your Smartsuit Pro with. Then select the correct IP address from the drop down menu. Read this article on how to verify your IP address.
- Should you want to select a specific frequency band (2.4 of 5.0 GHz), receiver port of DHCP mode, you can do so via the "advanced Wifi settings" drop down. Click here for more details on supported WiFi frequencies.
- Click "Apply settings"
- Once completed, you will see a message saying "WiFi settings successfully applied". You can now disconnect the USB-C cable from the HUB.
At this point you should see a grey avatar in the scene, with the LED's of the HUB being green for the power button and green/blue/yellow for the WiFi LED.
Hub WiFi LED explanation
Internal WiFi Hotspot
To use your Smartsuit Pro with the HUB's own WiFi hotspot (removing the need for an external network and router) and learn more about the limitations of this feature, please see here.
Updating the location settings
In order for the sensors of the Smartsuit Pro to perform well, it is important to define your geographical location.
You can apply your geographical location in two ways:
- The Studio detects your location automatically and will suggest to apply it to the Smartsuit Pro, through a pop-up in the bottom right corner of the Scene View. Click on the pop-up to configure it.
- Enter your geographical location manually by navigating to the settings (settings cog icon) in the top left corner of the Scene View). Learn more here.
Creating an Actor Profile and assigning it
Now that your Smartsuit is connected to your computer via WiFi, the grey Rokoko avatar has appeared in the scene, and you have put on the Smartsuit, you will need to do the following:
- Create an actor profile by clicking the "add objects" button (see gif below). By default, entering your height will change the values to averages in the other input fields, which is a good place to start, but if you have time we advise manually measuring all the inputs as well. Once you are done, save the profile.
- Now that we have added this new actor profile in the scene, we need to pair the Smartsuit Pro to it. You can see the Smartsuit Pro in the list of "unpaired inputs" tab. Simply drag it on the actor profile object to tie them together. The avatar, affectionately known as Newton, will then be put in the scene origin.
An actor profile will allow Rokoko Studio to scale Newton to your body measurements. You can create actor profiles either from the main menu or directly from within the objects panel (as seen in the gif above). Add a little color marker to the profile to light up Newton.
For more information about Actor Profiles, please read this article.