Who is this article relevant to?
This article is for anyone who wants to know how to livestream their Rokoko Studio animations to their custom characters in Blender
Which plans is this article relevant for?
Plus Pro Enterprise
Important! For any workflow-related issues, please join our Discord server.
Video Tutorial - Live Streaming to Blender
This video guides you on how to setup real-time streaming of full performance capture, from Rokoko Studio on to your custom characters in the Blender
Install the Rokoko Studio Blender plugin. Instructions for doing this can be found here.
A useful video can be found attached at the end of this article. It shows the whole process in a faster manner.
In Studio, click on Livestream and on the cogwheel next to the Blender icon.
The port should be enabled and the same as the Rokoko Receiver port inside Blender.
- Click on "Start Receiver" to start the livestream.
- After starting the receiver, select the armature (skeleton of your custom character that you imported in Blender) that you want to animate. Open the Object category and then open the “Rokoko Studio Live Setup” panel.
In the actor field select the Smartsuit (Actor Profile name) that you want to use for this armature.
- Fill all bone fields by pressing “Auto Detect” and check if all bones are correctly filled in and fill in missing bones.
- Ensure that the selected armature is in T-Pose and then press “Set as T-Pose”.
- Your armature should be animated by the live data.
After starting the receiver select the mesh (the body of the character you imported in Blender) that you want to animate, open the Object category and then open the “Rokoko Studio Live Setup” panel.
- In the “Face” field select the face data (Actor Profile) that you want to use for this mesh.
- Fill all shapekey fields by pressing “Auto Detect” and check if all shapekeys are correctly filled in and fill in missing shapekeys.
Your mesh should now be animated by the face data.
Streaming Virtual Production data
After starting the receiver select the object that you want to animate.
- Open the Object category and then open the “Rokoko Studio Live Setup”.
- In the “Tracker or Prop” field select the tracker or prop data that you want to use for this object.
When you have selected your prop. You can also turn on "Use Custom Scale" and change the Scale, to make sure everything fits your Blender project.
Your object should now be animated by the tracker or prop data.
In the Receiver panel you can set the “Scene Scale” to scale the live position data to fit your project.
Optional for better livestream perofmance: In order to improve animation performance enable “Hide Meshes during Play” in the receiver panel.
(Meshes that are animated by face data from Rokoko Studio will not be hidden by this setting)
If you experience any lag when using the plugin, close the window that shows key frames (in the timeline). Blender will run much smoother as the panel takes a lot of resources.